To curb the onset of boredom, I’d entertain myself with unnecessary shopping trips to Target, Barnes & Noble, and Pier 1 Imports. For fun, I wasted money on stuff I didn’t need. How stupid is that?
Soon, I learned the act of buying a random doodad triggered far more euphoric emotions than owning it. The high I felt in the checkout line disappeared before I even stepped foot back into my apartment.
After bringing my “exciting” new find home, I’d leave it untouched for months–and often, forgot about it completely.
The reason I was able to get out of debt so quickly was because I killed the habit of recreational shopping.
If you want to keep more of your hard-earned dollars, engage in fun activities that are either cheap or free.
I know what you’re hoping for: 100 Free and Family Friendly Forms of Entertainment. Well, keep hoping you lazy bum.
Create your own list of cheap and fun things to do. You know what you like. You don’t need me to tell you.
When you’re bored or feeling a little down, don’t race to the nearest mega mall, whip out your list.
But just to give you some ideas, here are a few things I enjoy that cost next to nothing.
- Awaiting a cool breeze on a hot summer day
- Watching birds (Not to confuse with bird watching, that’s torture)
- Sitting on the Potomac River, feeding bread to ducks
- Sleeping on a soft picnic blanket under this amazing tree at a local park.
- Reading a short, non-fiction book. (I don’t know what I like more, that I learned something new or that I actually finished a book.)
- Cooking (and of course, eating) hot dogs and hamburgers on a charcoal grill
- Watching a relaxing ASMR (autonomous sensory meridian response) or whisper video
- Lounging around in stretch pants or underwear
- Living in a clean, fresh smelling, and organized apartment
- Reading a magazine while taking a hot bubble bath
- Going for a relaxing stroll on a nearby trail (I’m allergic to nature so I’m miserable afterward.)
- Stopping to smell the roses, literally
- Preparing a delicious, home cooked meal for someone I care about
- Talking trash and whipping butt during a friendly card game
What inexpensive or free activities do you enjoy?