Tuesday to Friday of this week, I did the unthinkable: I went back to work.
But only because I agreed to train my replacement before I left.
Well, he finally started, and I honored my word.
I gotta tell ya. It was rough.
Take a month off work and see how enthusiastically you spring out of bed on your first, or even your second, day back. Just the thought of going into the office caused my innards to tense up.
By Friday morning, I felt great. But that’s probably because I heard smoothies were arriving in the afternoon. Plus, Superbowl Sunday is coming up, and I can’t wait to master my eating-a-chicken-wing-with-one-hand technique.
On Tuesday, I attended an awesome happy hour sponsored by the good folks of TurboTax.
Although I didn’t win an iToy this time, I didn’t leave empty handed. Be on the look out for the TurboTax Premier 2012 giveaway.
I want to finish my taxes before holding the giveaway. I’d like to provide an honest assessment of the software. So, we can discuss this matter again around, say, April 15th.
In addition to consuming two glasses of Pinot Grigio and the best fried cheese I’ve ever had, I caught up with personal finance bloggers I haven’t seen in over a year:
- J. Money at Budgets are Sexy
- Ginger at Girls Just Wanna Have Funds
- Jim Wang at Bargaineering
- Joy at Debt Hater
- Brian Scheur at My Next Buck
- Stephen Popick at Coffee Cents
- Paranoid Asteroid
- TeacHer Finance (This was actually my first time meeting [I cannot remember her name for all the skinny jeans in Lil' Wayne's closet], but she was cool.)
Dumb Question of the Week
“Are you getting paid for being here?”
I must’ve heard this question at least three times. What money-grubbing, newly jobless, entrepreneur would leave her business to work for a highly profitable corporation during the warmest week in February on record and NOT get paid for her services? Who’d do that? Who?!
Carnival Love (sung to the tune of Computer Love)
You Have More Than You Think was featured in several blog carnivals this week. Check ‘em out.
- Carnival of Wealth, pre-Super Bowl Edition at Control Your Cash
- Carnival of Financial Camaraderie at My University Money
- Canadian Finance Carnival at Canadian Finance Blog
“A man’s got to believe in something. I believe I’ll have another drink.” – W. C. Fields
“Once during Prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water.” – W.C. Fields
“Always do sober what you said you’d do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.” – Ernest Hemingway
Intervention via Infographic
You might have a problem when a Twitterized version of yourself is holding a glass of wine. We can thank Visual.ly for the wake up call.
Interesting Search Phrases
“How to get a cheap high”
“bring a flask to restaurant”
Yes. Flasks aren’t just for convenience anymore. Financially conscious, think aheaders use them too.
“3 things motivated sellers want more than cash”
I don’t know what you’re hoping to find buddy, but you should probably talk to the guy from search phrase #1.
“10 ways to use box wine”
You’re asking too much of boxed wine. I’m guessing you mistakenly appended a “0″ to “1″ and an “s” to “way”, because there’s only 1 way I know to use boxed wine and that’s to drink it.
“broke a ikea piece during assembly”
Sorry, man. It happens to the best of us.
- Money Mamba: How to Ace an Interview in 1 Hour
- Len Penzo: The 5 Most Misleading Grocery Items Shoppers Waste Money On
- Squirrelers: Going Beyond the Resume: How will Job Searching Change in the Future?
- 20′s Finances: Furnishing Your Apartment from Ikea
- MoneyNing: The Perfect Second Income Stream: Rent Out Your Stuff
Have a great weekend and a Happy Super Bowl Sunday!!!